The Dart board . . .
Sneed hears rumbles Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart is kicking the tires for a possible bid for mayor.
Word is Dart, who is now serving his third term as sheriff, is getting antsy; starting to refill his campaign coffers; revamping his website; and conducting a fundraiser Monday in Springfield — his old stomping grounds as a former state legislator.
“Tom didn’t do fundraisers last year,” a top Dart source said.
“But there is a lot of volatility going on, and he is in the process of making a decision of what to do next,” the source said. “Tom has five children and raising a big family makes Chicago an easier base.”
A history note amidst the current disenchantment amongst many black voters: In 1992, Dart won the 28th House District seat, which was 64 percent black, beating black incumbent Rep. Nelson Rice, who was backed by heavyweight African- American politicos Lemuel Austin and Bill Shaw.
• Smote the remote! If Dart wants attention at his Springfield fundraiser, he’ll get it: the site he’s chosen, the Celtic Mist, is the only pub in town that doesn’t sport a TV set!
Obama haha . . .
Litt wit: Did you know President Barack Obama’s senior speechwriter, David Litt, had such a wit . . . he just left office to become the head writer for the Funny or Die humor website? Hahahahahaha.
Is there a message here?
Heir scare! Now comes word The Donald pursued Princess Diana after the break-up of her marriage to England’s heir to the throne, Prince Charles.
Yipes! In a newly resurrected 2015 London Sunday Times article quoting Selina Scott, a BBC broadcaster, Diana confided:
• Trump gave her the creeps.
• Trump was beginning to feel like a stalker.
• Trump bombarded her with massive bouquets of flowers costing hundreds of pounds.
• Scott claimed: ‘When she [Diana] died in the tragic accident in Paris in 1997 Trump told friends his biggest regret was that they hadn’t dated. He said that he always thought he had a chance of romance and would have had a “shot” with her.
• The flip side: Scott also claims Trump had a few descriptive words about her after the article ran: ”unattractive,” “pathetic,” “boring,” “totally uptight and insecure,” “obnoxious” and “desperate for a man.
Isn’t Trump naughty?
A Hillary hiccup?
Who is St. Sabina’s activist peace priest Michael Pfleger’s favorite presidential candidate?
“I have to be careful how I say this . . . but I guess its safe to say at this juncture I’d vote for Bernie Sanders,” he told Sneed. “He’s just my kind of guy.”
Death, Inc. . . .
• Ugly Update: Total number of homicides in Chicago from Jan. 1 to Jan. 24 has now risen to 103, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office — eight more than the total number they reported to Sneed the day before.
Gaga gab . . .
Veep Joe Biden is hitting the Academy Awards with wife, Jill.
• To wit: Watch for Biden to introduce Lady Gaga, who will sing the Oscar-nominated song “Til It Happens to You,” from the campus rape documentary “The Hunting Ground”— and promote the White House’s campaign to end campus sexual assault.
• Backshot: First Lady Michelle Obama showed up at the Oscars in 2013, but only via satellite, dontcharemember?
Zzzz . . .
Former presidential hopeful Jeb Bush, who should have run under his baptismal name of John Ellis Bush to give his limpalong campaign gravitas, is back home in Miami, working out to get rid of campaign carbs — and ostensibly telling his wife, Columba, how much he continues to adore her — and trying to develop a stronger relationship with his big bully brother, George.
Sneedlings . . .
Flip ’em: Kudos to 19th Ward Alderman Matt O’Shea and the 7,500 pancakes served up by 100 volunteers at the recent Annual “Get Behind the Vest” Pancake Breakfast last Sunday to raise money to replace outdated bullet proof police vests. Spotted amongst the throng were former top cop Terry Hillard and Illinois State Police Director Leo Schmitz. . . . Today’s birthdays: Nate Ruess, 34; Michael Bolton, 63, and Marshall Faulk, 43.