Bird’s nest ignites in chimney, causing Geneva house fire
Subscribe for unlimited digital access.
Try one month for $1!
Subscribe for unlimited digital access. Try one month for $1!
A chimney fire caused roughly $30,000 in damage Wednesday evening to a home in west suburban Geneva.
The residents of the home in the 900 block of Whittington Drive called 911 about 7 p.m. when they found an upstairs bedroom filled with smoke, Geneva fire officials said.
All three people made it out safe, and firefighters took about 10 minutes to put out the flames, the fire department said.
The damage was contained to the chimney and a portion of attic space behind a bedroom closet, officials said.
Investigators learned the fire ignited when a bird’s nest in the attic came in contact with the chimney flue pipe. The fire caused roughly $30,000 in damage.