3 shot dead, 12 wounded Sunday in Chicago
Subscribe for unlimited digital access.
Try one month for $1!
Subscribe for unlimited digital access. Try one month for $1!
Gun violence this weekend reached a peak on Sunday. By the end of the day, three people were killed and 12 others wounded in shootings throughout the city.
One 20 minute span after 2:40 a.m. saw three men killed and two others wounded.
Robert T.C. Anderson, 32, was sitting in a parked vehicle about 2:55 a.m. in the 5900 block of South Elizabeth Street in Englewood when someone approached and fired shots, Chicago police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said.
Anderson was shot multiple times in his body and pronounced dead at the scene, according to authorities. No one was in custody. He was a resident of Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Another man died minutes earlier just blocks away in West Englewood. About 2:40 a.m., two men were standing on the street in the 6400 block of South Bell Avenue when someone in a light-colored SUV fired shots, police said.
A 40-year-old man was shot in the head and taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he died, according to police. Another man, 38, was taken to the same hospital with a gunshot wound to the left leg. His condition had stabilized.
A third man died early Sunday in the South Side Ashburn neighborhood. About 2:45 a.m., the 32-year-old was approached by two males who shot him after an argument in the 2500 block of West 79th Street, according to police.
Officers found him on a sidewalk with a gunshot to the chest, police said. He was taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he died, according to police.
In nonfatal gun violence on Sunday:
- about 11:30 p.m., a 39-year-old man was shot in the knee in Park Manor on the South Side;
- about 10:40 p.m., a man was shot multiple times and critically wounded in Englewood;
- about 7 p.m., a teenage boy, 17, was shot in the shoulder in West Lawn;
- about 6:50 p.m., a 16-year-old boy was shot in the finger in Gage Park;
- about 5:05 p.m., a man was shot as he exited his car in Lawndale on the West Side;
- at 11:36 a.m., a man, 27, was shot on his porch in Englewood;
- about 4:15 a.m., a man was shot in his back by two gunmen in the Humboldt Park neighborhood;
- about 4 a.m., a 29-year-old man was shot on a sidewalk in the Pullman neighborhood on the Far South Side;
- about 2:55 a.m., a man was wounded in the Hermosa neighborhood in a drive-by attack;
- about 2:45 a.m., a 32-year-old man was critically wounded when he was shot in the chest in Ashburn;
- about 12:22 a.m., a man crashed into a pole after he was shot in Morgan Park on the Far South Side.
The Chicago Police Department reported on Saturday that a trend of decreasing shootings and homicides has continued since the historic spike in gun violence in 2016.