Our Pledge To You


No bail for man charged with fatal River North stabbing

Sun-Times file photo

Bail was denied Friday for a 56-year-old man charged with fatally stabbing a northwest suburban Park Ridge man last month in River North.

Gino Bassett, of the Woodlawn neighborhood, is charged with first-degree murder and two counts of aggravated assault, Chicago Police an the Cook Count State’s Attorney’s Office said. He is accused of stabbing 55-year-old Miguel Beedle in the neck about 2:30 a.m. on March 23 in an alley in the 400 block of North State Street.

Bassett was denied bail by Judge Michael Clancy at his initial court appearance Friday at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse.

Just before being stabbed, Beedle was at a River North bar and left around closing time, Assistant State’s Attorney Jamie Santini said. A witness saw Beedle holding a handful of cash when he left.

Gina Bassett | Chicago Police


After leaving, Beedle stood outside the bar for about a half hour, Santini said. Video surveillance recorded Bassett standing across the street watching Beedle. At one point, Bassett was seen walking past Beedle as he stood in front of the bar.

Beedle walked into the alley and was followed by Bassett, who pulled out a 5-inch blade, Santini said. Video surveillance also recorded Bassett shoving Beedle father into the alley.

Bassett left the alley and was followed by Beedle, who could be seen clutching his neck, Santini said. He fell to the ground and was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he died about 2:42 a.m., according to authorities. The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled his death a homicide.

None of the cash Beedle was seen holding was found on his person or in the area nearby, Santini said.

Bassett fled into a stairwell at the Grand and State CTA Red Line station, where he pulled out his knife a second time and threatened to stab two women, ages 21 and 26, who accidentally bumped into him on the stairs, authorities said. They reported the incident to police.

CTA surveillance recorded Bassett on a train counting cash and pulling out credit cards and the knife, Santini said. Detectives who were investigating the stabbing learned he went to New York shortly after. He was located Wednesday at Union Station in Chicago and taken into custody.

Detectives found a distinctive jacket Bassett was seen wearing on surveillance footage at his home during the execution of a search warrant, Santini said. The jacket appeared to have blood on the sleeve. A 5-inch knife was also found, which also appeared to be bloody.

During Bassett’s hearing, Assistant Public Defender Marijane Placek said he has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and takes numerous medications. Without access to his medication, she said she was concerned he could be a danger to himself or others while in custody at the jail.

Placek asked that he be transferred to Cermak Health Services while in custody, which was approved by Judge Clancy.

“I think the most important thing [in Bassett’s case] is his mental health background,” Placek told the Chicago Sun-Times after the hearing. “We need to start caring for people’s mental health. It’s a problem.”

Bassett’s next court date was scheduled for April 25.