The Chicago Sun-Times is a distinctly Chicago company that believes in the future of media and delivering relevant content in innovative ways to create value and connect with new and future media generations. The Company’s flagship newspaper, The Chicago Sun-Times, is the oldest continuously published daily newspaper in the city.
The Chicago Sun-Times is looking for an enthusiastic, self-starter to join the Accounting and Finance team as an Accounting Manager. The ideal candidate will not only possess an interest in crunching numbers and digging into the weeds but also taking a step back to fully understand the bigger picture and how his/her contribution directly impacts the Company’s growth.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Lead accounting and finance operations, including general ledger, payables/receivables and payroll.
- Coordinate and direct the financial close process including monthly and year-end closing procedures.
- Provide support to CEO, Controller and other members of senior leadership team with a broad range of accounting, finance, internal control and compliance issues.
- Partner with Human Resources to ensure the proper withholding and remittance of federal, state and local taxes and the timely production and distribution of W-2s and 1095-Cs.
- Assist Controller with the coordination, preparation and maintenance of the annual consolidated and individual departmental budgets.
- Oversee accurate and timely input of payroll data including but not limited to new hires, payroll deductions, wage increases, promotions, bonuses, paid time off, leaves of absence, and terminations; track and deduct garnishment and other special payroll deductions; review and monitor data for accuracy; ensure employee changes are entered correctly and processed in a timely manner.
- Ensure that bargaining unit contract payroll terms are appropriately adhered to.
- Monitor and stay apprised of current laws governing payroll, minimum wage, overtime, leaves of absence, and sick time.
- Ensure that the Company remains in compliance with federal, state and local legal and reporting requirements and filings.
- Oversee HR functions that have a finance-related impact, including employee on boarding and off boarding, benefit and 401(k) administration, and expense reimbursement policies.
- Develop and communicate organization-wide Payroll policies and procedures and partner with Director of Human Resources in developing and communicating policies and procedures to employees.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field required, CPA license preferred.Strong knowledge of GAAP, technical accounting research a plus.
- 3-5 years payroll processing/supervision experience in union and non-union environments
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills, ability to communicate with various levels of leadership, investors, vendors and customers.
- High level of comfort working in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-starter who can drive accomplishments, with strong organizational and prioritization skills.
- Ability to maintain high-quality work and provide exceptional customer service.
- Ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality.
Send your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls). Reference the position in the subject line:ACCTMGR
This is a non-union (exempt) position. Sun-Times Media Productions LLC does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.