Political daybook in Illinois and Chicago on Nov. 15
Subscribe for unlimited digital access.
Try one month for $1!
Subscribe for unlimited digital access. Try one month for $1!
Here’s a look at political and government events scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 15 in Chicago and across Illinois.
- 10 a.m. — Mayor Rahm Emanuel will join Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson and Fire Commissioner Richard C. Ford II to honor first responders at the Carter Harrison Lambert Tree Awards ceremony. 121 N. LaSalle St., City Hall council chambers.
- Read about Rahm’s final $10.7 billion spending plan, breezed through City Council on Wednesday.
- 10 a.m. – Reclaim Chicago activists hold a press conference to announce their first five aldermanic candidate endorsements in the 2019 City Council elections. City Hall, 121 N. LaSalle St., second floor outside the City Council chambers.
- 10 a.m. — Community activist William Calloway will demand that Ald. Leslie Hairston return money given to her by Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
- 10:30 a.m. — Governor-elect JB Pritzker will announce the formation and members of the Healthy Children and Families Committee of the transition team at Children’s Home and Aid, the first social service agency he visited while considering his run for governor. Children’s Home and Aid, 125 S. Wacker Dr.
- 10:30 a.m. – Illinois Treasurer Michael Frerichs and AARP Illinois host an opportunity for employers to learn about the state’s Secure Choice Program, which “combats the retirement savings crisis facing our country by creating a portable retirement investment tool that travels with the worker.” Union League Club of Chicago, 65 W. Jackson.
- 10:30 a.m. — Environmentalists, residents and members of Canal Shores Golf Club protest proposal to build a road through the public course’s 10th fairway near Wilmette and Evanston. The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District is scheduled to vote on the issue. Metropolitan Water Reclamation District, 100 E. Erie St.
- 11 a.m. — Cook County Board President and mayoral candidate Toni Preckwinkle will preside over a special meeting of the Cook County Board of Commissioners to affirm the FY2019 budget, as amended at the Finance Committee. Cook County Building, 118 N. Clark St., 5th Floor boardroom.
- 10 a.m. – (ZION) U.S. Rep. Brad Schneider hosts a Medicare Open Enrollment event for seniors in Illinois’ 10th Congressional District. Until 2 p.m. at Zion-Benton Public Library, 2400 Gabriel Ave. in Zion.