Second lawsuit filed over semi crash that killed mother, 2 kids
Subscribe for unlimited digital access.
Try one month for $1!
Subscribe for unlimited digital access. Try one month for $1!
A second lawsuit has been filed in connection with a Back of the Yards semi truck crash earlier this month that killed a mother and her two young children.
Elizabeth Peralta-Luna and her children — 9-year-old Elizabeth and 4-year-old Dylan — were hit by the semi March 6 while crossing the street in the 4300 block of South Ashland.
Victor Martinez-Ceron, Dylan’s father, filed a lawsuit Thursday in Cook County Circuit Court over his son’s death.
The suit accuses the semi driver, Zachary Barngrover, of speeding, failing to yield to pedestrians and using a cellphone while driving, the suit said. It also names Monson and Sons Inc., the trucking company that employed Barngrover.
Barngrover, 23, of Iowa, received two traffic citations — failing to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk and making an improper left turn, Chicago Police said previously
Friends described Peralta-Luna, 30, as a devoted single mother who came to the United States from Mexico about 10 years ago, seeking a better life. On top of working multiple jobs, Peralta-Luna got her GED and planned on taking college courses, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.
Thursday’s lawsuit seeks at least $50,000 in damages.
Marciela Ruiz, Peralta-Luna’s aunt, filed a separate wrongful-death earlier this month against the driver and company on behalf of all three people killed, according to published reports.