The 2018 MLB Draft opened with the first round and more Monday night. The Tigers used the first overall pick on Auburn pitcher Casey Mize, who had spent much of the spring being projected as the draft’s top player.
The annual draft is a 40-round event that includes more than 1,000 picks, although less than 100 were announced on the opening evening, which included the first and second rounds, along with a host of compensation and competitive balance picks distributed to different teams.
Top players in this year’s class included Mize, Georgia Tech catcher Joey Bart and Oregon State infielder Nick Madrigal. The upper crust of the class leaned a bit toward college players over prep talent this year, although players such as Carter Stewart, Matthew Liberatore and Jarred Kelenic were highly coveted from the high school level.
The White Sox used the No. 4 overall pick on Madrigal, while the Cubs used the No. 24 overall pick on Stanford’s Nico Hoerner. A full order for all 40 rounds of the draft can be found here.
Full results for the first round of the 2018 MLB Draft can be found below.
2018 MLB Draft, Round 1 results
- Tigers – RHP Casey Mize, Auburn
- Giants – C Joey Bart, Georgia Tech
- Phillies – 3B Alec Bohm, Wichita State
- WHITE SOX – 2B Nick Madrigal, Oregon State
- Reds – 3B Jonathan India, Florida
- Mets – OF Jarred Kelenic, Waukesha West HS (Wisconsin)
- Padres – LHP Ryan Weathers, Loretto HS (Tennessee)
- Braves – RHP Carter Stewart, Eau Gallie HS (Florida)
- Athletics – OF Kyler Murray, Oklahoma
- Pirates – OF Travis Swaggerty, South Alabama
- Orioles – RHP Grayson Rodriguez, Central Heights HS (Texas)
- Blue Jays – SS Jordan Groshans, Magnolia HS (Texas)
- Marlins – OF Connor Scott, Henry B. Plant HS (Florida)
- Mariners – RHP Logan Gilbert, Stetson
- Rangers – RHP Cole Winn, Orange Lutheran HS (California)
- Rays – LHP Matthew Liberatore, Mountain Ridge HS (Arizona)
- Angels – OF Jordyn Adams, Green Hope HS (North Carolina)
- Royals – RHP Brady Singer, Florida
- Cardinals – 3B Nolan Gorman, Sandra Day O’Connor HS (Arizona)
- Twins – OF Trevor Larnach, Oregon State
- Brewers – SS Brice Turang, Santiago HS (California)
- Rockies – LHP Ryan Rolison, Mississippi
- Yankees – C Anthony Seigler, Cartersville HS (Georgia)
- CUBS – SS Nico Hoerner, Stanford
- Diamondbacks – SS Matt McClain, Beckman HS (California)
- Red Sox – 3B Triston Casas, American Heritage School (Florida)
- Nationals – RHP Mason Denaburg, Merritt Island HS (Florida)
- Astros – OF Seth Beer, Clemson
- Indians – C Noah Naylor, St. Joan of Arc Catholic SS (Canada)
- Dodgers – RHP J.T. Ginn, Brandon HS (Mississippi)
- Rays (compensation) – LHP Shane McClanahan, South Florida
- Rays (compensation) – OF Nick Schnell, Roncalli HS (Indiana)
- Royals (compensation) – RHP Jackson Kowar, Florida
- Royals (compensation) – LHP Daniel Lynch, Virginia
- Indians (compensation) – RHP Ethan Hankins, Forsythe Central HS (Georgia)