Kareem Hunt agrees to contract with Browns
Subscribe for unlimited digital access.
Try one month for $1!
Subscribe for unlimited digital access. Try one month for $1!
Former Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt has agreed to join the Browns for the 2019 season. The team announced the signing Monday with statements from the player and GM John Dorsey, who said the franchise did “extensive due diligence with many individuals” about the domestic violence incident last year that caused the Chiefs to release Hunt in the middle of the season.
Hunt had been one of the most productive running backs in football when video was published by TMZ last year depicting him kicking and shoving a woman in a Cleveland hotel. No arrests were made in the incident.
The Chiefs cut ties with Hunt later that day in a statement. Now that he’s signed on with a new team, the 23-year-old will go on the commissioner’s exempt list while the NFL completes its investigation and determines a punishment.
Other teams didn’t immediately shy away from the chance of adding Hunt, including the Bears. Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace didn’t rule out the possibility when asked about it in January, and Bears receiver Allen Robinson recently said that he thought Hunt would be welcomed in the locker room if he signed with Chicago.
The Browns add Hunt to an up-and-coming offense led by last year’s No. 1 overall pick, Baker Mayfield, and new head coach Freddie Kitchens.
Nick Chubb, a 2018 second-round pick out of Georgia, was the team’s leading rusher last season with 192 carries for 996 yards. Hunt, a Pro Bowler as a rookie in 2017, recorded 824 rushing yards, 378 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns in 11 games with Kansas City last season.