The diamond was built, and they came to Iowa.
More than three decades after “Field of Dreams” became a hit, one of the most famous cornfields in history finally gets the opportunity to host real big league ball.
- Members of the Chicago White Sox and the New York Yankees take the field prior to a game at the Field of Dreams on August 12, 2021 in Dyersville, Iowa. Stacy Revere/Getty Images
- White Sox third baseman Jake Lamb walks through a cornfield before a the “Field of Dreams” game. Charlie Neibergall/AP
- Actor Kevin Costner walks onto the field prior to a game between the Chicago White Sox and the New York Yankees. Stacy Revere/Getty Images
- A general view of the Field of Dreams during the first inning between the Chicago White Sox and the New York Yankees on August 12, 2021 in Dyersville, Iowa. Stacy Revere/Getty Images
- A-10 aircraft conduct a flyover before a baseball game Charlie Neibergall/AP
- A hot air balloon is seen during the third inning. Stacy Revere/Getty Images
- Yankees designated hitter Giancarlo Stanton walks on the field with earns of corn in his back pockets before the game. Charlie Neibergall/AP
- Yankees right fielder Aaron Judge watches a home run from the Sox’ Seby Zavala fly into the outfield corn in the fourth inning. Charlie Neibergall/AP
- Aaron Judge anticipates a pitch during the fourth inning against the White Sox. Stacy Revere/Getty Images
- White Sox bullpen pitcher watches from the outfield corn during a baseball game against the Yankees in Dyersville, Iowa. Charlie Neibergall/AP
- Sox right fielder Adam Engel anticipates a pitch during the seventh inning against the New York Yankees. Stacy Revere/Getty Images
- Yankees designated hitter Giancarlo Stanton walks to the dugout during the sixth inning against the White Sox as the sun sets at the Field of Dreams game. Stacy Revere/Getty Images
The White Sox and New York Yankees played in tiny Dyersville, next to the actual site used in the 1989 film. Kevin Costner, James Earl Jones, Ray Liotta and Amy Madigan starred in the movie.
The Sox won 9-8 in dramatic fashion with a game-winning, two-run home run by Tim Anderson.
A crowd of about 8,000 watched the made-for-TV event which was delayed a year after the pandemic postponed the original plans to play at the specially built field.
Costner came back for this, stealing the scene with a slow, ponderous stroll into the outfield his character Ray Kinsella often took in the film before stopping to watch the real White Sox and Yankees emerge from the corn for pregame introductions.
Clutching a ball in his hand, while the original symphonic score from the movie played over the loudspeakers, Costner stepped up to a microphone and told the crowd, “It’s perfect.”
This won’t be a one-time visit, either. Major League Baseball confirmed that the Field of Dreams game will return in August 2022, with the teams to be determined.