Batavia man gets six years for sexual assault of child

SHARE Batavia man gets six years for sexual assault of child
rogel_vargas_fernando.jpg

Fernando Rogel-Vargas | Kane County state’s attorney’s office

A west suburban man has been sentenced to six years in prison for sexually assaulting a child he knew last year.

Fernando Rogel-Vargas, 44, pleaded guilty Friday to criminal sexual assault in exchange for the six-year sentence, according to the Kane County state’s attorney’s office.

On the afternoon of Oct. 22, 2015, Rogel-Vargas assaulted a child he knew that was under the age of 12, a statement from prosecutors said.

Rogel-Vargas, of the 1200 block of East Wilson Street in Batavia, will receive credit for 356 days served in the Kane County jail, according to the state’s attorney’s office.

In addition to the prison sentence, he must register for life as a sexual offender.

The Latest
Connor Bedard punched the boards, Petr Mrazek yelled at Jaycob Megna and everything else went equally poorly for the Hawks in a 5-0 defeat Thursday.
Oronde Hardy, 50, is charged with first-degree murder and attempted murder in the attack.
Four people were shot Monday evening. Two have died. Trivell Pruitt, 53, is being held in the attack in the 7100 block of South State Street. A second shooter remains at large.
The 24-year-old was arguing and fighting with two people inside a home in the 7900 block of South Paulina Street when someone pulled out a gun and shot him about 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
If you want to know if I think J.B. Pritzker, in his second term as Illinois governor, will one day run for president, I do. It’s nothing he said. I’m just reading the tea leaves.