A reputed Latin King has been charged with murdering a teenager on the South Side in what authorities described as a random act of violence possibly triggered by the alleged gunman’s mood.
It’s unclear why Leonard Johnson fired his gun on Oct. 12, killing 19-year-old Cody Davis. But Johnson had been fighting with his ex-girlfriend via text messages and perhaps “just having a really bad day,” Cook County prosecutors said Monday.
“Apparently something set him off to the point where he fired all these shots,” Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy said.
Davis was preparing to leave a friend’s party shortly after 11 p.m. that night when his sister ordered him an Uber. At the same time, Johnson, who lived on that block, in the 3300 block West Beach Avenue, arrived home and parked across the street from the Uber, Murphy said.
After getting out of his vehicle, Johnson was captured on a POD camera staring at Davis as the teenager walked toward his Uber, Murphy said. Davis looked in Johnson’s direction and the pair appeared to exchange words before Davis entered the back seat of the waiting car, Murphy said.
Johnson then closed his car door and allegedly pulled out a handgun, pointing it at the Uber as he walked toward the car.
Davis told the driver that he thought Johnson was going to shoot him right before Johnson shot once into the car’s back window, Murphy said. The driver sped off. But Johnson continued to fire additional shots at the car, eventually striking and killing Davis, Murphy said.
Investigators linked the car shown on POD cameras to Johnson, who reported it stolen to 911 and 311 after it was taken by officers through a search warrant, Murphy said. Inside, investigators recovered numerous documents with Johnson’s name along with an empty gun box for a 9mm Taurus handgun, a gun holster and ammunition, Murphy said.
Johnson also made third-party admissions about the crime to his manager and co-worker at an Advanced Auto, Murphy said.
Johnson is a “self-admitted” Latin King, Murphy said
Johnson was ordered held without bail Monday for Davis’ murder.
He is expected back in court Feb. 19.