Second presidential debate on Oct. 15 officially canceled

President Trump and former Vice President Biden were slated to meet in a town-hall style debate. The Trump campaign refused a virtual format due to health concerns.

AFP_8RM4HE.jpg

President Donald Trump, left, listens to former Vice President Joe Biden speak during the first presidential debate Tuesday, Sept. 29, 2020, at Case Western University and Cleveland Clinic, in Cleveland, Ohio.

Julio Cortez/AP

Election coverage for Chicago and the surrounding area including results, analysis and voter resources.

The second presidential debate between President Donald Trump and Joe Biden has been canceled by the Commission on Presidential Debates, according to a source familiar with the decision.

Both campaigns have agreed to appear at the third and final presidential debate, a podium format set for Nashville on Oct. 22, the source said.

Trump said Thursday he would not take part in the next presidential debate with former Biden after it was moved to a virtual format because of COVID-19 safety concerns.

Trump’s decision set off a furious back and forth between the two campaigns on the debate schedule and formats, culminating with Biden scheduling his own televised town hall for Oct. 15, the night of the previously scheduled second of three debates. Trump won’t be present.

The Commission on Presidential Debates announced Thursday morning the next debate would be remote to “protect the health and safety of all involved” after Trump’s positive COVID-19 diagnosis and the subsequent White House outbreak.

“I’m not going to waste my time doing a virtual debate,” Trump told Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo, calling it a “joke” and an effort “to protect Biden.”

This is a developing story, check back for updates.

Election 2024
Democratic nominee Kamala Harris won the vast majority of Latino precincts in Chicago, but her margins were often smaller than Joe Biden’s in 2020. Residents told the Sun-Times it came down to the economy.
Majority-GOP counties join other counties that have approved similar nonbinding measures in recent years as residents have expressed disapproval of policies passed by the Democrat-led Illinois General Assembly and Chicago officials.
Voters once again failed to elect a highly qualified woman as president of the United States — in favor of a narcissistic, crude, rude, clown-car driver of a candidate. And I was left with more questions without answers, including: Will I ever see a woman in the Oval Office?
Two last races were called Friday for independent candidates in Districts 9 and 10 on the South and Southeast sides.

Get the latest election news from the Sun-Times Election Chat. Text ELECTION to 260-233-9818 or sign up here.

The Latest
Firefighters responded to the blaze just before 10:15 p.m. at an apartment building in the 700 block of St. Johns Road, according to the Woodstock Fire/Rescue District. It was extinguished by midnight but firefighters stayed on to fight hot-spots.
A look at all the boys basketball players that have committed to Division I schools.
This is a very simple cake, and the apples are the star of the show.
There is a strong batch of low-major and mid-major recruits in the local senior class. Several of those will prove to be recruiting steals.
In each burglary, the front glass window of the businesses were shattered and money or a cash register was taken, police said.