Man who overdosed revived after officers inject Naloxone

SHARE Man who overdosed revived after officers inject Naloxone
SHARE Man who overdosed revived after officers inject Naloxone

Officers revived a man who had overdosed on opiates Saturday night in northwest suburban Mundelein.

Police responded to the 0-100 block of North Emerald and found a man unresponsive on the bathroom floor, according to a statement from Mundelein police. The man showed symptoms of opiate overdose and police retrieved a Naloxone auto-injector kit from their squad car to revive the man.

The first dose had no immediate effect. The second dose, however, did.

It was the first time Mundelein officers had used the auto-injectors and only the fourth time a police officer in Lake County administered the life-saving drug, police said.

Naloxone blocks the effects of opioids on the brain and restores breathing within two to eight minutes, police said. Its only function is to reverse the effects of opioids on the brain and respiratory system in order to prevent death.

“Most opiate overdoses happen in the presence of a witness and often in the user’s own home, “ Mundelein Police Chief Eric Guenther said. “Prompt response can be crucial to avoid death due to respiratory depression.”

The Latest
Starter Justin Steele allowed one hit and struck out nine in five innings and left with a 4-0 lead. But Brandon Hughes, Scott Effross, David Robertson and Rowan Wick combined to allow seven runs as the Cubs lost their fourth consecutive game.
The Sox’ Yasmani Grandal and Anderson and the Yankees’ Donaldson were at the center of the dustup. There were no punches or ejections.
Favorite Epicenter made a hard charge up the rail to finish second. But Jose Ortiz guided Early Voting inside before the finish line well ahead of Epicenter, who was also second in the Kentucky Derby.
Gomez was a few days shy of 27 when a 14-year-old attacked him at the Cicero Green Line station, authorities said. His family described him as fiercely protective, fighting for custody of his son and planning on becoming a police officer.
The Cubs catcher quickly moved past his ejection Friday, but left Saturday’s game against the Diamondbacks in the third inning with right hamstring tightness. “Definitely something going on. We’ll find out how extensive,” manager David Ross said.