Republicans assumed full control of Congress on Tuesday for the first time in eight years in a day of pomp and circumstance beneath the Capitol Dome.
And if you weren’t following along or watching C-SPAN, here are some of the more incredible things that happened:
1. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky, received a vote for House Speaker. Yes, Sen. Rand Paul.
AP Photo/ Richard Shiro, File
(So did Colin Powell).
2. Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Arizona, gave everyone a thumbs up and a twirl:
3. Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-California and Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio:
4. Another awkward kiss, this time from Vice President Joe Biden:
5. Rep. Danny Davis, D-Illinois, apparently had some trouble keeping his eyes open.
6. Biden, exhibit B:
7. Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, had a special gift for new Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa.
8. Biden, exhibit C: