There was a huge box-office hit in 1983 starring Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy called “Trading Places.” This quiz has nothing to do with that movie.
Theo Epstein and brother Paul created a wonderful charitable organization called “The Foundation To Be Named Later,” a nod to the baseball trade term “player to be named later.” This quiz has nothing to do with that, either.
This quiz has to do with trades made by our two teams. And out of respect to those involved, there are no questions pertaining to Lou Brock.
Get trading on the Chicago Nine.
1. Anthony Rizzo has been traded twice in his MLB career. For which team did he make his MLB debut?
a. Cubs c. Padres
b. Red Sox d. Braves
2. Which current Cub was involved in a trade that included Mark Buehrle?
a. Eric Sogard c. Jake Marisnick
b. Jason Hayward d. Ian Happ
3. Craig Kimbrel has been traded a couple of times in his career. Which one of these players was involved in a trade for Kimbrel?
a. Tommy La Stella c. Cameron Maybin
b. Rafael Devers d. Jason Heyward
4. The White Sox generously got Dylan Cease and Eloy Jimenez from the Cubs in exchange for which of the following?
a. Addison Russell c. Jose Quintana
b. Wade Davis d. Steve Cishek
5. Here’s a Cubs-Sox deal: On Dec. 11, 1973, the Cubs traded Ron Santo to the White Sox. Which one of these players was in the package that went to the Cubs?
a. Jerry Hairston c. Steve Stone
b. Randy Hundley d. Bill Madlock
6. There are many reasons why Matt Stairs was a memorable ballplayer. One is that he had 23 pinch-hit homers, the most ever. Another is that he played for 12 franchises, the most-ever for a position player, including being traded to which Chicago team?
a. White Sox
7. Which of these Juniors was not traded by a Chicago team?
a. Lance McCullers, Jr. c. Sandy Alomar Jr.
b. Fernando Tatis Jr. d. Jerry Hairston Jr.
8. Who did the White Sox trade to get Paul Konerko from the Reds in 1998?
a. Magglio Ordonez c. Ray Durham
b. James Baldwin d. Mike Cameron
9. The Cubs and Phillies have made some pretty spectacular trades. Who is the Cub on this list the team did not get in a trade with Philadelphia?
a. Ryne Sandberg c. Ferguson Jenkins
b. Steve Trout d. Keith Moreland
1. Drafted by the Red Sox, Rizzo debuted with the Padres in 2011. 2. On Nov. 19, 2012, Jake Marisnick was traded by the Toronto Blue Jays with Henderson Alvarez III, Anthony DeSclafani, Yunel Escobar, Adeiny Hechavarria, Jeff Mathis and Justin Nicolino to the Miami Marlins for Mark Buehrle, Emilio Bonifacio, John Buck, Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes and cash. 3. Cameron Maybin was one of the players the Braves got from the Padres for Kimbrel. 4. On July 13, 2017, the Sox traded Jose Quintana to the Cubs for Dylan Cease, Eloy Jimenez and a pair of minor-leaguers. 5. Steve Stone went from the South Side to Wrigleyville. 6. Matt Stairs was traded by the A’s to the Cubs. He hit 17 homers for the 2001 Cubs (none as a pinch hitter). 7. Lance McCullers Jr. was never traded by Chicago. The Sox traded Tatis and Alomar, and the Cubs traded Hairston. 8. Mike Cameron went to the Reds. Two years later, he was part of the deal that brought Ken Griffey Jr. from Seattle. 9. Trout joined the Cubs from the White Sox in a 1983 trade.