Suspect in killing of California deputies had been deported twice

SHARE Suspect in killing of California deputies had been deported twice

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Federal authorities say a man suspected of killing two deputies during a shooting rampage in Northern California was deported twice and has a drug conviction.

A U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman said Saturday fingerprints of the suspected shooter confirm he was first deported to Mexico in 1997 after being convicted in Arizona for drug possession. He was arrested and repatriated to Mexico again in 2001.

Sacramento County sheriff’s authorities said the suspect identified himself as 34-year-old Marcelo Marquez of Salt Lake City. However, federal officials say his fingerprints match the biometric records for a Luis Enrique Monroy-Bracamonte.

The suspect’s wife is also in custody following the shooting rampage that left two deputies dead, and two others victims wounded.

The Latest
We cannot continue to succeed if one of our most important transportation corridors continues to fail.
Just last week, a group of historians warned President Joe Biden that today’s threats to democracy are similar to the pre-Civil War era and the homegrown sympathy for fascism before World War II.
They were standing on the sidewalk about 9 p.m. in the 3300 block of West Harrison Street when someone inside a black car fired shots.
Much of the Illinois Department of Transportation’s funding for this program is coming from the state’s $45 billion Rebuild Illinois Capital Plan but almost $16 billion more is expected to come in from the federal government.