The mother of a former Simeon High School student is suing the Chicago Board of Education and her daughter’s former track coach after he allegedly sexually assaulted her.
The mother filed the suit anonymously on behalf of her daughter Tuesday in Cook County Circuit Court.
The former coach, Gerald Gaddy, was charged with aggravated criminal sexual abuse, criminal sexual assault and aggravated battery in a public place after he was arrested this July, police said.
At the time he was charged, police said he assaulted two underage girls.
The suit alleges that during the 2013-2014 school year, Gaddy “sexually fondled, engaged in sexual intercourse, or otherwise abused” the girl more than 40 times.
“Gaddy was so confident and self-assured of his ability to sexually exploit minor Jane Doe – even in the presence of other coaches – that he would not lock his office door when he engaged in sexual intercourse and sexual abuse of her,” the suit stated.
The girl’s mother claims the school board was negligent in hiring Gaddy in the first place, and said there was not a sufficient background check performed before he was hired. If there had been, it would have shown “Gaddy’s moral turpitude and unfitness for a position dealing with minors,” the suit said.
The Chicago Board of Education did not comment on the suit Wednesday afternoon.
The six-count suit alleges negligence and battery and seeks and unspecified amount in damages.
Gaddy’s bond was set at $400,000, and he is next scheduled to appear in court Thursday, according to the Cook County sheriff’s office.