Man leads Elgin police on high-speed chase

SHARE Man leads Elgin police on high-speed chase

An Elgin man who led police on a high-speed chase Saturday morning ultimately crashed his car in the northwest suburbs.

At 10:46 a.m., police responded to a call of a person waving a gun from a vehicle near the intersection of South and Lillian streets, according to a statement from the Elgin police department.

Officers soon located the vehicle and initiated a traffic stop, but the vehicle sped away from the scene and blew multiple traffic lights, police said.

The vehicle eventually crashed on Sleepy Hollow Road just north of I-90, police said. After the crash, multiple people got out of the vehicle and fled on foot.

All the occupants, including the driver, were soon apprehended by police, the statement said. A BB gun and marijuana were recovered from the vehicle.

The driver, Claude R. Thompson, 23, was charged with two counts of aggravated fleeing and eluding, possession of cannabis, driving with a suspended license and a variety of other traffic offenses, police said.

Thompson, of the 1300 block of Maroon Drive in Elgin, was scheduled to appear in bond court Sunday. Court information was not immediately available.

Police did not indicate whether the other occupants were charged. No one was injured.

The Latest
The two were identified as Marisa Dister, 46, and Russell O’Connor, 44, who were found at a residence in the 300 block of West 12th Street, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office. A gun was recovered near their bodies.
The former couple noted that deciding where to settle down contributed to their decision to go their separate ways.
Joey Miller, 25, was arrested Thursday and now faces three felony charges: first-degree attempted murder, home invasion and aggravated battery, police said.
Larry Walker, 37 and of the Humboldt Park neighborhood, is facing charges for attempted murder and aggravated battery, police said.
The string of robberies started at about 4:45 a.m. in the 1300 block of North Halsted Street when a 29-year-old man was getting out of his car and a black sedan pulled up and four to five men got out and pointed guns at him, police said.