(AURORA) A fire Friday afternoon caused $25,000 worth of damage to a west suburban Aurora home and left it uninhabitable.
A passerby noticed smoke coming from the house in the 700 block of Kane Street at 12:40 p.m., according to a statement from the Aurora Fire Department.
Six fire companies responded to the home and brought the blaze under control by 12:50 p.m., fire officials said. The house was unoccupied at the time, and no injuries to firefighters were reported.
The fire, which was apparently started by the hot water heater in the home’s utility room, caused an estimated $25,000 worth of damages, according to the fire department. The home was left uninhabitable and the residents are staying with relatives.