The future is bright already bright for the Cubs, and now fans have ballpark upgrades to look forward to as well.
The Cubs recently released these renderings for the new Wrigley plaza and clubhouse, both currently under construction.
Here are all the projects the Cubs will work on in the next year, according to Cubs.com:
• Temporary Home Team Batting Tunnel
• Temporary Visiting Team Batting Area
• Temporary Visiting Team Weight Room
• Permanent Ticket Office location and Guest Services
• Expansion of Women’s Restroom near First Aid
• Expansion of Men’s Restroom near Western Gate
• Exterior Façade (Western wall of ballpark)
• Centerfield Budweiser Bleachers Improvements
• Budweiser Bleacher Bar and Entrance Area (including a new elevator)
• Western Gate
• Office Building and Plaza
• Caretaker’s House
• Broadcast Center (Gold Lot)
• Hotel construction
According to DNAinfo.com, the project is currently focused on the new Cubs front office and clubhouse building as well as the Wrigley Plaza.
The team hopes to turn the plaza into a neighborhood town square, the report said.
The Cubs envision hosting farmers markets and children’s movies on non-game nights and creating an ice rink in the winter. Beyond that, they’d like to host up to 25 larger-scale events on the plaza per year and allow people to carry alcohol within its perimeter.
Earlier this month, the team removed the famous Wrigley Field marquee in order to preserve it during construction. The Cubs are now in the second year of their five-year renovation plan.