Man gets 2 years for fatally shooting man who tried to rob him

SHARE Man gets 2 years for fatally shooting man who tried to rob him

A Mount Prospect man was sentenced to two years in prison last week for fatally shooting a man who tried to rob him in July on the Near West Side.

Paul Vukadinovic, 30, pleaded guilty to aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and was sentenced Tuesday to two years in prison by Judge Catherine Haberkorn, according to Cook County court records.

Vukadinovic shot 40-year-old Alprentiss Nash in the chest at 2:20 p.m. July 28 in the 400 block of South Paulina, authorities said.

Nash tried to rob Vukadinovic, “with whom he had a long drug history,” police said at the time. Both men were armed and they exchanged gunfire. Nash, of the 100 block of North LaPorte Avenue, was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Nash was exonerated of a murder charge in 2012 after serving 17 years in prison. He was convicted of the murder and robbery of a Chicago man on the South Side in 1995, the Sun-Times previously reported. He was incarcerated from 1995 until 2012, when Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez vacated his conviction when new DNA evidence exonerated him.

Vukadinovic was also convicted of a separate drug charge and sentenced to one year in prison, which will be served consecutively to the sentence for the weapon charge. He will receive credit for 133 days served in the Cook County jail.

Alprentiss Nash | Illinois Department of Corrections

Alprentiss Nash | Illinois Department of Corrections

The Latest
The Wildcats couldn’t hold a fourth-quarter lead and lost on a field goal with 21 seconds left at Ryan Field.
The Sox put Robert on the 10-day IL after he tried to play through a sprained left wrist for the last six weeks.
A gunman opened the back door of a building and opened fire at a group inside, police said.
Mervis entered Saturday with 35 home runs this season, tied with teammate Alexander Canario for third-most in the minors this season.