monroe1.jpg

Crews work to ventilate a Near West Side high-rise building after a failed electrical panel filled its basement with smoke Saturday afternoon. | Fire Media Affairs

Electrical panel failure fills high-rise basement with smoke

SHARE Electrical panel failure fills high-rise basement with smoke
SHARE Electrical panel failure fills high-rise basement with smoke

One person was hospitalized for smoke inhalation after an electrical panel malfunctioned in a Near West Side high-rise Saturday afternoon.

An electrical panel failed in the basement of a building in the 500 block of West Monroe, Fire Media Affairs said about 1:20 p.m.

Heavy smoke filled the basement, and while the building was not evacuated, one person was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, fire officials said.

Crews were working to ventilate the building, and smoke was “minimal” as of 1:30 p.m., according to Fire Media Affairs.

monroe_450x600.jpg

A failed electrical panel filled a high-rise building’s basement with smoke Saturday afternoon on the Near West Side. | Fire Media Affairs

The Latest
Thompson pitches five innings of one-run ball in Cubs’ 5-1 victory
Seventeen passengers were aboard the vessel when it caught fire at the Spring Brook Marina.
Miley, who said he was originally scheduled to face the White Sox this weekend, hopes to avoid the IL.
White Sox say Jimenez, who appeared to hurt his leg on a swing Saturday, is day to day
Both men, ages 29 and 38, were taken to University of Chicago Medical Center, where they were pronounced dead, police said.