Two charged with shooting empty parked car in Evanston

SHARE Two charged with shooting empty parked car in Evanston

Shawn L. Raymond | Evanston police

Two Evanston men have been charged with shooting up an unoccupied parked vehicle Wednesday afternoon in the northern suburb.

Authorities received multiple reports of gunshots in the 300 block of Custer Avenue, according to a statement from Evanston police. Nobody was hit, but an unoccupied vehicle parked on the street was shot three times.

Witnesses gave police a description of another vehicle involved in the shooting, which officers tried to stop a short time later in an alley off the 600 block of Oakton Street, police said. Two men got out and tried to run away.

Shawn L. Raymond, 22, was found hiding in the rear stairwell of an apartment building in the 400 block of Callan Avenue, police said. A loaded .22-caliber North American Arms semi-automatic handgun was found nearby.

Octavius Miles, 23, was found about 30 minutes later hiding in an apartment in the 600 block of Hull Terrace, police said. Officers found a loaded Bryco 9mm semi-automatic handgun in the same location.

Raymond, of the 600 block of Hull Terrace in Evanston, is charged with one felony count of use of a weapon by a felon, police said. He was on parole for domestic battery at the time of his arrest, according to Illinois Department of Corrections records.

Miles, of the 100 block of Clyde Avenue in Evanston, is charged with one felony count of aggravated discharge of a firearm and a misdemeanor count of property damage, according to police.


Octavius Miles | Evanston police

The Latest
Police say three thieves attempting to steal a Ferrari and Range Rover early Monday were confronted by the owner. The thieves fired at the owner, who returned fire. The thieves fled. No arrests have been made.
Among the dead are 5-year-old Reign Ware, who was fatally shot in the abdomen while sitting in a parked car in the 200 block of South Campbell Avenue about 3:30 a.m. Sunday, police said.
“I want them to come at me,” Angel Reese said after being on the receiving end of a flagrant 2 foul. Sky coach Teresa Weatherspoon heartily agrees with Reese’s take on the physicality in the WNBA and not backing down.