Man gets 5 years for identity theft, tax fraud

SHARE Man gets 5 years for identity theft, tax fraud
SHARE Man gets 5 years for identity theft, tax fraud

A man has been sentenced to five years in prison for stealing $40,000 in an identity theft scheme and failing to pay Illinois income taxes.

Darnell Murry, 41, was found guilty of one count of a continuing financial crimes enterprise and one count of failing to file an Illinois tax return, both felonies, according to a statement from Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan’s office. DuPage Circuit Judge Brian Telander sentenced him to five years in the Illinois Department of Corrections.

Murry used stolen identities to commit fraud at retailers throughout the suburbs including Sam’s Club, Costco, Macy’s and Meijer, the attorney general’s office said. He would add himself to the accounts as an authorized secondary cardholder to receive credit cards linked to his victims’ accounts.

Murry stole more than $40,000 through this scheme in 2012, according to the attorney general’s office. He also failed to report or pay any state income taxes that year.

“This defendant preys upon others for personal gain,” Madigan said in the statement. “Through this conviction and prison sentence, he will be held accountable for committing theft and fraud.”

Murry was on parole for a federal prison sentence for similar crimes at the time of the scheme, the attorney general’s office said. He has previously served a two-year prison sentence for theft and fraud in Wisconsin, and he is also facing charges in Indiana related to identity theft.

The Latest
The 21-year-old was found in the basement bathroom of a home in the 200 block of West 105th Street with a gunshot wound to the head.
Xherdan Shaqiri gave the Fire a 3-2 lead in the 89th minute, but it lasted only two minutes as Patryk Klimala scored to keep the Fire in search of their first victory since March 19.
The Sox’ sputtering offense had 10 hits but went 3-for-13 with runners in scoring position
The male, whose age was unknown, was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.