Man resentenced for murdering elderly vet in Aurora home invasion

SHARE Man resentenced for murdering elderly vet in Aurora home invasion

A man who appealed his sentence for fatally stabbing an elderly World War II veteran during a home invasion in west suburban Aurora will still spend most of his life in prison.

Hector Mauricio was initially sentenced to 60 years in prison after pleading guilty to stabbing 83-year-old Roscoe Ebey 36 times during a 2007 break-in at Ebey’s home, the Beacon-News previously reported.

He appealed, arguing the court placed too much emphasis on Ebey’s character when considering the sentence. The appellate court agreed, and ordered he be resentenced.

Judge Susan Clancy Boles ordered Mauricio to serve 55 years in prison at a hearing Friday, the Kane County state’s attorney’s office said.

The state had originally sought the death penalty until it was abolished in Illinois early in 2011, the state’s attorney’s office said.

Mauricio, 28, of Aurora, must serve 100 percent of the new sentence, and will receive credit for the 7 1/2 years already spent behind bars, the state’s attorney’s office said.

“Roscoe Ebey lived an exceptional life as a soldier, a family man and neighbor. Although it is unfortunate that his family had to relive his murder yet again, we appreciate the opportunity to seek justice for him one final time,” State’s Attorney Joe McMahon said in a statement.

The Latest
Rep. Sean Casten faces political newcomer Mahnoor Ahmad and Charles Hughes, making a third try for Congress, in the Illinois March 19 Democratic primary in the 6th congressional district.
Amaryon Steel, 20, was found lying on the street in the 200 block of South Hamilton Avenue about 9 p.m. Monday, Chicago police said.
Known as Chicago’s first TV traffic reporter on morning news, Varon will sign off for the final time on April 5, after 35 years at WLS-Channel 7.
The Chicago Board of Education’s potential vote to dismantle school choice and get rid of police, even in schools that want them, imposes a blanket approach that strips families of a say in their children’s education and safety, eight elected officials write.
In most cases, co-pays aren’t mandatory. They’re optional, state Sen. Donald DeWitte writes.