Prosecutors: West Side man beaten to death after Facebook feud

SHARE Prosecutors: West Side man beaten to death after Facebook feud

From left: Lithia Henderson, Marshalla Kelly, Marshall Henderson | Cook County sheriff’s office

A fight that started on Facebook ended with three people using a baseball bat, broom handle and wooden beam to beat a 23-year-old man to death earlier this month on the West Side, prosecutors said.

Andre Jackson died five days after the Aug. 4 beating in the 4600 block of West Gladys, according to Cook County prosecutors and the medical examiner’s office. Lithia Henderson, 41; Marshall Henderson, 21; and Marshalla Kelly, 23, have been charged with first-degree murder and aggravated battery.

About 9:30 p.m., Jackson went with a 20-year-old relative to confront another man that he had been feuding with on Facebook over their respective girlfriends, prosecutors said.

They met his rival, who was accompanied by the Hendersons and Kelly, who was one of the girlfriends at the center of the feud, prosecutors said.

Jackson and the other man started to fight, and then Marshall Henderson jumped in, followed by Lithia Henderson with a metal baseball bat and Kelly with a broomstick, prosecutors said.

When Kelly’s stick broke, she went inside for a two-by-four, prosecutors said. She took a swing at Jackson with it, but when she missed, Marshall Henderson picked it up and beat the older man over the head with it, prosecutors said.

Lithia Henderson, who kept hitting Jackson with the bat, stopped to capture the last few moments of the beating on video, prosecutors allege.

Jackson and his relative were able to run away to the 4800 block of West Quincy, where they called for help, according to Chicago Police. Jackson was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he died at 5:51 a.m. Aug. 9, authorities said. He lived in the 4100 block of West 19th Street. The relative was treated for minor injuries.

A judge set bond at $900,000 each for both Hendersons and Kelly at a Sunday hearing, according to the Cook County sheriff’s office. They are due in court again Sept. 2.

The Latest
The man was taken to a nearby hospital with injuries from the crash, but wasn’t struck by the shots, police said.
The victims were standing in the 9100 block of South Harper Avenue when someone in a passing car fired shots.
After 15 years at Carlyle Lake, the Illinois High School Association is finally moving the state finals for bass fishing . . . to Lake Shelbyville for the next five years.
As MLB celebrates Father’s Day this weekend, Mark Leiter Jr. shares stories about growing up in major-league clubhouses with his dad.
Couple considers leaving longtime hometown, and all the friends and neighbors there, to be more involved with their children and grandchildren.