$1 million bail for man charged with armed South Loop carjacking

SHARE $1 million bail for man charged with armed South Loop carjacking
phillip_smith_25.jpg

Phillip Smith | Chicago Police

Bail was set at $1 million for a man charged with an armed carjacking in the South Loop last month.

Phillip Smith, 25, faces felony counts of aggravated vehicular hijacking with a firearm and armed robbery, according to Chicago Police.

About 3:30 a.m. on April 11, Smith approached a victim in the 600 block of South Wabash while armed with a firearm and demanded the victim’s vehicle and wallet, police said.

Smith, of the West Garfield Park neighborhood, was ordered held on a $1 million bail Friday, according to police and the Cook Cunty sheriff’s office. He is next scheduled to appear in court Thursday.

The Latest
“It was only because the patient received high-quality CPR immediately that she survived,” said a trauma physician at Stroger Hospital.
“If we had a quarterback last year, we could have won state,” Raiders coach John Ivlow said.
Someone wake Matt Nagy: This play is what the Justin Fields offense is supposed to look like.
The Bears’ pass rush looked good with Quinn and Al-Quadin Muhammad playing together for the first time. Matt Eberflus misses a challenge opportunity. And Trevor Siemian has looked competent as the backup quarterback.