No Fourth of July fireworks or parade in Oak Park this year, officials announce

“Emerging from the pandemic is not a sprint,” Oak Park officials said in announcing their decision. Autumn, they said, will hopefully be a better time for community events.

SHARE No Fourth of July fireworks or parade in Oak Park this year, officials announce
Fourth of July revelers in Oak Park in 2014.

The village of Oak Park’s annual Fourth of July parade and fireworks have been canceled. Officials cited a “cautious approach to large events.”

Sun-Times file

It’s a double dud.

The Fourth of July parade and fireworks show aren’t happening this year in Oak Park.

Village leaders canceled the parade and cited a “cautious approach to large events” as COVID-19 restrictions ease, according to an announcement posted to the village’s website.

Though restrictions on capacity and social distancing are being lifted by the state Friday, leaders in Oak Park pointed to guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that states anyone who is not fully vaccinated remains at risk of contracting and spreading the virus.

“Emerging from the pandemic is not a sprint ... and taking precautions now hopefully will help ensure a safe return in the not-too-distant future to the types of large community events many have missed over the past year,” the announcement stated.

“The community fireworks display has never been a village-sponsored event but was presented by a local not-for-profit organization. The village board is required to approve a permit for such exhibitions. No applications for a permit were filed this year or in 2020,” the announcement stated.

Oak Park anticipates moving toward a full reopening later this month if local and state COVID-19 rates remain on track.

Residents should look forward to opportunities to plan for community events in the fall, Oak Park officials said.

The Latest
The child support payments are part of a settlement the divorced couple agreed upon to avert a trial that had been set for next month.
Two gunmen approached a teen about 9 p.m. and began shooting. He is hospitalized in critical condition.
Bally’s casino is set to temporarily occupy the historic Medinah Temple, 600 N. Wabash Ave., before moving to its permanent riverfront location on Chicago Avenue and Halsted Street.