clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

No bail for man accused of sexually assaulting, stabbing 15-year-old girl in Far South Side attack

Prosecutors said Isaihai Nevitt claimed he was a music producer who could help the girl’s career.

Isaiha Nevitt arrest photo
Isaiha Nevitt
Chicago police

Bail was denied Saturday for a man accused of luring a teenage girl to a wooded area on the Far South Side before he allegedly sexually assaulted and stabbed her.

Isaihai Nevitt, 19, of the West Pullman neighborhood, is charged with attempted first-degree murder, aggravated criminal sexual assault and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon in connection with the June 23 attack, according to Cook County prosecutors.

Nevitt met the 15-year-old about 6 a.m. that day at the Maxwell Street Express hot dog stand at 11656 S. Halsted Street and told her he was a music producer who could help her career, Assistant State’s Attorney Margaret Johnson said during Nevitt’s bail hearing.

After leaving together and making several stops, Nevitt told the girl that he had lost $60 in the woods behind his father’s house in the 10800 block of South Bishop and asked her to help him look for the cash, Johnson said.

Nevitt came up from behind the girl while she looked for the money and sexually assaulted her, Johnson said. The girl eventually broke free, but fell as she attempted to run away.

That’s when Nevitt took out a knife and stabbed her 41 times, Johnson said.

After grabbing a branch and hitting Nevitt, the girl was able to run to a nearby home for help, Johnson said. She was taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn and treated, including for a stab wound that punctured her lung.

Nevitt’s mother turned him in to police after seeing his photo circulated in the media in connection with the attack and he was also identified by the girl in a photo array, Johnson said.

Nevitt and the girl were also seen together in video footage recovered from the CTA, a police POD camera, a gas station and a McDonald’s they visited, Johnson said. Additional physical evidence was recovered at the scene of the attack, including a used condom, according to Johnson, who did not say if any of those items had been linked to Nevitt.

Nevitt, accompanied by his parents, surrendered himself to police on Wednesday, the Chicago Sun-Times previously reported. Nevitt, who has no criminal background, admitted to having sex with girl, and claimed he stabbed her because she was also armed with a knife and had attempted to rob him, Johnson said.

Nevitt graduated from Julian High School and is a father to a young child, Assistant Public Defender Daina Staisiunas said.

Staisiunas also requested the court order a mental health evaluation for Nevitt, which Judge David Navarro approved in addition to ordering Nevitt held without bail.

Nevitt’s next court appearance was set for Monday.