clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Family of slain SW Side teen continues to press for answers: ‘We need all the Chicago leaders to see that we are in a war zone’

No one has been arrested in the Sept. 3 killing of Michael Colon in the 3200 block of West 38th Place.

A vigil at the scene of the killing of 16-year-old Michael “Mikey” Colon in the Brighton Park neighborhood.
A vigil at the scene of the killing of 16-year-old Michael “Mikey” Colon in the Brighton Park neighborhood.
Tom Schuba/Sun-Times

The family of a 16-year-old boy who was shot and killed last month while walking a puppy near his Brighton Park home continued to push local officials to prioritize the case during a news conference Sunday at the scene of the attack.

Just after 9:30 p.m. Sept. 3, Michael “Mikey” Colon was found shot multiple times in the 3200 block of West 38th Place, Chicago police reported. Colon, who was entering his junior year at Thomas Kelly High School, was pronounced dead at the scene.

“We need all the Chicago leaders to see that we are in a war zone, where gun control in this city has been lost and shooters are aware of the small steps they have to take to kill innocents and get away with it,” said Colon’s brother, Anthony.

Flanked by a few dozen supporters holding signs bearing his brother’s name, Anthony Colon specifically asked the Chicago Police Department, Mayor Lori Lightfoot, Cook County state’s attorney Kim Foxx and local Ald. George Cardenas (12th) to help bring them justice. On Sunday, a police spokeswoman said no one was in custody in connection with the ongoing homicide investigation.

Colon’s sister, Joanna, told reporters that her family started communicating with high-ranking police officials after holding a news conference earlier this month outside CPD headquarters. Meetings with those officials are planned for next week, she added.

Activist Raul Montes and Joanna Colon speak to the press Sunday about the investigation into the killing of her brother, Michael “Mikey” Colon.
Tom Schuba/Sun-Times

And while Joanna Colon noted that a vehicle that was allegedly connected the shooting has been “located,” she said the family hasn’t been given any information about potential suspects. Meanwhile, the family is hoping that an increased reward of $15,000 will encourage a someone to come forward with information that leads to an arrest.

But with homicides surging this year, she believes the National Guard ultimately needs to intervene to tamp down citywide violence.

“We’ve spoken with the police that work in the streets directly. ... They’ve stated their position, and how many hours they’re working, and how they’re outnumbered by the gang violence in the city of Chicago,” said Joanna Colon. “Our city needs help.”

Anyone with tips regarding Michael Colon’s killing should call (224) 651-6662 to make an anonymous report.

A sign offering a reward for information about the Sept. 3 killing of Michael “Mikey” Colon is posted near the scene of the shooting. The reward has since been increased to $15,000.
Tom Schuba/Sun-Times