clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Felon awaiting trial for assault when he shot two Chicago police officers: prosecutors

Bruce Lua, 45, was also shot during the incident in Lawndale. He was ordered held on $10 million bail Tuesday.

Chicago police investigate the scene where two officers were shot May 16, 2021, in Lawndale.
Chicago police investigate the scene where two officers were shot May 16, 2021, in Lawndale.
Anthony Vasquez/Sun-Times

A convicted felon was awaiting trial for a pending misdemeanor assault case when he shot two Chicago police officers in Lawndale over the weekend, Cook County prosecutors said Tuesday.

Bruce Lua fired at a 26-year-old officer Sunday morning, striking him in the hand and a 28-year-old officer was hit in the hip and shoulder, Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy said.

The officers were treated and released from Mount Sinai Hospital later in the day.

While the bullets did not break any bones or damage any vital organs, the officers will need additional treatment and physical therapy, Murphy said.

Lua, who was also shot when the officers returned fired, was not at his bond court hearing since he was still recovering at Stroger Hospital.

Last month, Lua was released on his own recognizance for misdemeanor aggravated assault charges for allegedly threatening two women with a knife in separate incidents, court records show.

On Sunday, shortly after 7 a.m., two other officers responded to calls of a gunshot in the 3600 block of Douglas Boulevard, and were directed to Lua by a person on the street, Murphy said.

The uniformed officers who were in a marked police vehicle followed Lua at a distance for several blocks, commanded that he show his hands, and offered to provide help if he needed it, Murphy said.

Lua allegedly continued to walk away without responding.

Members of the police department salute the two wounded officers after they were discharged from Mt. Sinai, May 16, 2021. Tom Schuba/Sun-Times
Members of the police department salute the two wounded officers after they were discharged from Mount Sinai, May 16, 2021.
Tom Schuba/Sun-Times

Then the two uniformed officers who were eventually wounded responded to the scene in a marked vehicle, Murphy said.

When those officers saw Lua approaching in the 1500 block Douglas Boulevard, they drew their weapons, told him to stop and remove his hands from his pockets, Murphy said.

That’s when Lua allegedly drew a 9-mm handgun and fired at least 8 rounds at the officers.

The injured officers and another officer returned fire, Murphy said.

After he was hit, Lua fell to the ground and was taken to the hospital.

The incident was captured on the officers’ body-worn cameras, Murphy said.

The three officers’ use of force is being investigated by the Civilian Office of Police Accountability. Both wounded officers joined the force in 2017, according to CPD.

Lua pleaded guilty to drug charges in 2007 and has convictions for misdemeanor gun and driving under the influence charges, records show.

Judge Arthur Wesley Willis ordered Lua held on $10 million bail for attempted murder, aggravated battery and unlawful use of a weapon charges.

He also ordered that Lua be held on $100,000 bail for his pending misdemeanor assault case.

Lua is expected back in court for the shooting on May 24.