Space heater causes Mount Prospect apartment fire

SHARE Space heater causes Mount Prospect apartment fire

(MOUNT PROSPECT) No one was injured when a space heater caused a fire Saturday morning in an apartment in northwest suburban Mount Prospect.

Firefighters responding to the blaze about 11:10 a.m. in the 1700 block of West Chariot Court found the fire in an apartment on the third floor, according to a statement from the Mount Prospect Fire Department.

The fire was contained to the third floor unit and was brought under control in about 15 minutes, fire officials said. No injuries were reported.

A malfunctioning space heater was to blame for the blaze and damage to the building was estimated at $75,000, fire officials said. Village Human Services and the American Red Cross were called to the scene to assist displaced residents.

The Latest
“It was a long week,” Kenwood senior Calvin Robins said. “Nobody believes in us but that doesn’t matter because everyone in that [locker room] does.”
Loyce Wright, 43, was inside the Family Dollar at 5410 W. Chicago Ave. about 1:40 p.m. when a person walked up to him and fired shots, Chicago police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said.
McMichael’s body responded well to medication for MRSA.
It began in 1970 with the death of Illinois Secretary of State Paul Powell, a colorful old school downstate pol known for cutting deals that benefited southern Illinois — and himself. And the long tawdry saga could soon see its final chapter with the expected sale of a country home in Vienna, Ill.
Adan Casarrubias Salgado led the Guerreros Unidos cartel, which has been blamed for the presumed massacre of 43 college students in Mexico in 2014.