Vernon Hills oven fire causes $50K in damages

SHARE Vernon Hills oven fire causes $50K in damages
crime_scene_tape_999x696.jpg

Sun-Times file photo

An oven fire Saturday afternoon in north suburban Vernon Hills caused an estimated $50,000 in damages, fire officials said.

Firefighters responding to the blaze about 4 p.m. at a two-story, multi-family home in the 900 block of Ann Arbor Lane in Vernon Hills found heavy smoke and fire in the kitchen area, according to a statement from the Countryside Fire Protection District.

The fire started in the oven while a resident was cooking, fire officials said. A smoke detector went off and everyone got out of the building safely.

The blaze was under control within 15 minutes and was contained to the kitchen, fire officials said. The unit was inhabitable and the residents were assisted by the American Red Cross.

Fire officials estimated damages at $50,000, fire officials said.

The Latest
It’s been quite the week for Dosunmu, as he showed off his voice in huddles, his forearm strength on Patrick Beverley, and in the Monday win over the Kings, kept the Bulls afloat in what could have been a sinking first half.
Caleb Jones, who has landed in Colorado as a depth defenseman, came out on top in his first NHL matchup against Seth Jones as the Avalanche beat the Hawks 5-0 for the second time in a week.
The Wildcats meet Williamsville (25-9) in the 2A semifinals at 2 p.m. Thursday at State Farm Center in Champaign.
Manufacturer Perrigo said Monday that it has begun shipping the medication, Opill, to major retailers and pharmacies. A one-month supply will cost about $20.