Lawyer suing Aaron Schock says he can't find former Instagram star

SHARE Lawyer suing Aaron Schock says he can't find former Instagram star
SCHOCK_CST_043015_2_999x638.jpg

Then-Rep. Aaron Schock parasailing in Argentina. | Photo via Instagram

Aaron Schock once broadcast his worldly travels on Instagram for all to see.

But two weeks after a campaign donor filed a federal lawsuit against the former congressman, an attorney for the donor said Wednesday he can’t track the Peoria Republican down.

Attorney Daniel Kurowski told U.S. District Judge Andrea Wood he hasn’t managed to serve Schock with the lawsuit brought April 15 by his client, Howard Foster of Chicago, who gave $500 to Schock’s campaign in 2012.

“[Schock]’s certainly aware of the lawsuit, from what I can tell,” Wood said in court Wednesday.

Kurowski said his firm tried to serve Schock at a Peoria address that Schock previously listed on forms with the Federal Election Commission. But Kurowski said the property is now vacant. He also said attorneys who appear to have represented Schock in the past have not responded to his firm’s inquiries.

He said the firm has not attempted to serve the treasurer of Schock’s campaign, because rules require service upon Schock or someone in his household.

A Schock spokesman had no comment when asked about the complaint earlier this month, and Schock’s representatives could not be reached Wednesday.

Schock, who resigned from Congress on March 31, is the subject of a federal investigation. His current or former staffers visited Springfield earlier this month to testify before a grand jury.

The law firm of Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP is pursuing Foster’s lawsuit as a class-action RICO complaint. As of the end of last month, Schock’s campaign reported a cash balance of $3.2 million.

Contributing: Lynn Sweet

Aaron Schock used to be all over the media. Now, an attorney for a man suing the former congressman says he can’t find Schock to serve a subpoena.

The Latest
The set scheduled for Sunday afternoon at Grant Park was cancelled due to issues on both sides, organizers said.
Yet, the Sueños headliner filled Grant Park for the first night of Chicago’s biggest annual Latin music event.
A 28-year-old man was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Hospital.
The girl was shot in the 200 block of South Campbell Avenue, police said.
Music festival organizers made the announcement over social media Sunday morning, advising attendees to wait until further notice before heading to Grant Park. The Maxwell Market also closed early due to the rain.