Family displaced after kitchen fire in Elgin

SHARE Family displaced after kitchen fire in Elgin

A family was displaced after a fire in their kitchen started when food was left unattended on the stove Saturday night in northwest suburban Elgin.

At 7:25 p.m., crews responded to a five-unit apartment building in the 400 block of Jefferson Avenue, according to a statement from the Elgin fire department.

Firefighters entered one apartment and found heavy smoke and the stove, vent hood and cabinets on fire, according to the statement.

One person was treated at the scene for burns suffered while trying to extinguish the fire, according to the statement. No one else was hurt.

The blaze was extinguished in less than four minutes, but the apartment was rendered uninhabitable, according to the statement. A preliminary report estimates damage to be about $10,000.

The fire began when food cooking on the stove was left unattended, according to the statement.

The family of four that lives in the unit has been forced to find another place to stay until repairs could be made and the utilities restored, according to the fire department.

The Latest
Notes: Manager Craig Counsell announces his starting pitcher for the Cubs’ Cactus League opener agaisnt the White Sox.
The grass was greener in Chicago once. It’s got to be greener on the American League favorites’ side of the street now.
Rep. Sean Casten faces political newcomer Mahnoor Ahmad and Charles Hughes, making a third try for Congress, in the Illinois March 19 Democratic primary in the 6th congressional district.
Amaryon Steel, 20, was found lying on the street in the 200 block of South Hamilton Avenue about 9 p.m. Monday, Chicago police said.
Known as Chicago’s first TV traffic reporter on morning news, Varon will sign off for the final time on April 5, after 35 years at WLS-Channel 7.