Man charged after crash, barricade situation in Franklin Park

SHARE Man charged after crash, barricade situation in Franklin Park

A driver involved in a Friday crash on the Tri-State Tollway was charged Saturday after fighting with a state trooper, running away from the scene, barricading himself inside a home, and holding an elderly woman hostage near west suburban Franklin Park.

Thomas Chico, 28, of Chicago, was charged with four counts of home invasion, five counts of aggravated unlawful restraint, one count of aggravated battery to a police officer and one count of aggravated resisting, according to a statement from Illinois State Police.

The single-car crash happened about 7:15 a.m. Friday on I-294 near Grand Avenue, according to police. Chicoand a female passenger, who has been identified as his wife, were outside of the car when police arrived.

Chico washolding his wife’s hand and an object in his other hand, and began to yell as the trooper approached. The trooper gave verbal commands, but the two got into a “scuffle” before Chicoran away on foot across the interstate. The trooper suffered minor injuries in the altercation, state police said.

A Franklin Park police officer saw Chicorun into a house in a subdivision near the expressway, where several occupants left, state police said. Authorities later learned that Chicowas holding an elderly woman in the home against her will.

An Illinois State Police negotiator talked with Chico and he “voluntarily exited the residence and was taken into custody without incident,” according to the statement.

Chico appeared in bond court Saturday andwas ordered held without bond.

The Latest
No jurors were seated Monday. But after court, Kelly defense attorney Jennifer Bonjean said the jury pool had already been tainted by mentions of Kelly’s previous conviction in court.
“It’s very important to me,” Cease said of matchup with Verlander
Never satisfied, veteran point guard leads Sky into playoffs
One man, 24, was taken to a hospital in critical condition.
The man, 44, and woman were found dead about 3:30 p.m. Monday.