West Side man held without bail for 14-year-old boy’s murder

SHARE West Side man held without bail for 14-year-old boy’s murder
Anderson_Micheal.jpg

Michael Anderson / Chicago Police

A West Side man was ordered held without bond Friday for allegedly murdering a 14-year-old boy in Austin last summer.

Cook County Judge Maria Kuriakos Ciesil noted that the facial expressions 18-year-old Michael Anderson made in court showed that “he did not care” about the allegations against him in the Aug. 24, 2014 incident.

Anderson is the accused gunman in the murder of Marcus McCarty.

Anderson got out of a car in an alley near the 1100 block of North Leclaire and fired at a group of people Marcus was walking with, Assistant State’s Attorney Robert Kline said.

Marcus was shot in the abdomen and back.

After the shooting, Anderson ran back to the alley and into his car before driving away, Kline said.

Several witnesses saw Anderson with a gun that afternoon, Kline said.

Anderson also allegedly told someone that he shot at the group because he thought they were rival gang members. The individuals who Anderson targeted ran, Kline said. Anderson said Marcus was the last one there, so he shot him, Kline said.

Anderson, of the 3100 block of West Madison, later told detectives that he and others had discussed going over to that area to shoot rivals and that he was present at the scene of the shooting, Kline said.

Anderson is currently in prison serving a 15 month term for a weapons conviction.

He has several other prior convictions for drugs, possession of a stolen motor vehicles and attempted aggravated robbery.

The Latest
Just last week, a group of historians warned President Joe Biden that today’s threats to democracy are similar to the pre-Civil War era and the homegrown sympathy for fascism before World War II.
They were standing on the sidewalk about 9 p.m. in the 3300 block of West Harrison Street when someone inside a black car fired shots.
Much of the Illinois Department of Transportation’s funding for this program is coming from the state’s $45 billion Rebuild Illinois Capital Plan but almost $16 billion more is expected to come in from the federal government.
Manager Tony La Russa admitted he pondered keeping Kopech in the game but thought the long-term considerations weighed more heavily.