Carbon monoxide forces evacuation of Brighton Park elementary school

SHARE Carbon monoxide forces evacuation of Brighton Park elementary school

Three teachers were taken to hospitals “as a precaution” after a carbon monoxide leak led to the evacuation of Southwest Side elementary school on Friday morning.

It was the second such incident at a CPS school in three weeks.

Carbon monoxide was detected before school started Friday at Shields Elementary at 4250 S. Rockwell in Brighton Park, according to a statement from Chicago Public Schools spokesperson Emily Bittne.

Students had not yet arrived, but when they did, they were sent to the school’s annex for the rest of the day, Bittne said.

Firefighters responded to the school and found elevated levels of carbon monoxide at 80 ppm in the main building, according to Fire Media Affairs director Larry Langford. Three teachers were treated at the scene and taken to hospitals as a precaution.

Langford commended the staff at the school for their “fast work” at keeping the kids out and calling the fire department right away.

A preliminary analysis indicated the carbon monoxide that was vented out of the boiler room re-entered the school through an improperly opened door, creating a downdraft. CPS is evaluating the situation to determine safeguards to prevent the situation from re-occurring.

“The safety of students and staff is our top priority, which is why we are installing an additional 5,000 carbon monoxide detectors in schools throughout the city,” Bittne said.

Exactly three weeks ago, more than 70 students were taken to hospitals from Prussing Elementary in the Northwest Side Jefferson Park neighborhood after a carbon monoxide leak.

Authorities were called about 9:30 a.m. to the school at 4650 N. Menard, police and fire officials said.

Fire crews with carbon monoxide readers found high levels of the gas inside the school, which was then evacuated. A total of 71 children and seven adults were taken to hospitals, according to Fire Media. All were suffering non-life threatening illnesses with symptoms including dizziness, nausea and abdominal pain.

The school’s boiler, last inspected in July, appeared to be the cause of the leak, according to CPS, which is now facing multiple lawsuits over the incident and public pressure to replace the boiler.

The Latest
An 18-year-old man was shot and hospitalized in critical condition about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday in the 4800 block of South Marshfield Avenue . A 40-year-old man was taken into custody after a 40-minute standoff.
Despite trailing for much of the game, the Roadrunners’ trip to Florida for the Tampa Bay Christmas Invite prepared them for these close games.
Definition Theatre and Timeline Theatre Company were each awarded $180,000; Chicago Children’s Theatre received $100,000 and Remy Bumppo Theatre Company $50,000.
In a letter to City Council Black Caucus Chair Stephanie Coleman, Ald. Desmon Yancy alleged that he was the ‘victim of an unprovoked assault’ by Mitchell after a council hearing last week. Mitchell denies the claim, and police called the situation a “non-criminal incident.”
The workers, whom the company calls “partners,” say they are organizing for better working conditions and more reliable scheduling.