Man released without charges after Humboldt Park shooting

SHARE Man released without charges after Humboldt Park shooting

A man was shot with his own gun after getting into a fight in Humboldt Park on the West Side on Sunday night.

The 50-year-old man was driving through the park in the 1300 block of Luiz Munoz Marin Drive when he encountered a group of males and a fight broke out about 10:20 p.m., according to police. That block runs through the park, between Division and Augusta, Kedzie and Sacramento.

The 50-old man pulled a gun and a 32-year-old man struggled with him to get control of the gun, police said. The gun went off, striking the older man in the right thigh. He then pulled out another gun, and the man struggled with him again and got it away from him.

The older was taken in serious condition to Mount Sinai Hospital and was questioned by investigators, but no charges were filed as of Wednesday morning pending further investigation, police said.

The Latest
The former Sun-Times and Tribune sportswriter died Wednesday at 72.
Three women and a man were shot at 119th Street and Michigan Avenue in West Pullman about 6:30 p.m. Thursday.
With four straight double-doubles, Reese is the only rookie so far this season to eclipse 100 points and 100 rebounds.
A severe thunderstorm watch was issued through 10 p.m. in Kankakee, Grundy and Will counties.