Follow @sneedlingsSummon the barber!
Sneed is told the now heavily bearded former late-night talk showimpresario David Letterman, who recently blasted a “damaged” Donald Trump for making fun of people with physical impairments, hits town next Tuesday to pledge his troth to Tammy.
Specifically, U.S. Rep.Tammy Duckworth, (D-Ill.) the Iraq war hero who lost her legs flying combat missions for the Illinois Army National Guard.
“Letterman is stepping up to the plate to get Duckworth elected to the U.S. Senate,” said former State Sen. Bill Marovitz, whose downtown eatery Carnivale is where the Duckworth evening fundraiser will be held.
Sneed is told Letterman heard Duckworthgive a speech at Martha’s Vineyard at the request of his friend, Sen. Al Franken. Letterman was so impressed he volunteered to help the campaign.
Follow @sneedlingsLetterman, 69, who emcees a National Geographic Channel series on climate change called “Years of Living Dangerously,” recently described Trump as a “damaged human being” in an interview with the New York Times for insulting people on a national forum —specifically citing Trump’s making fun of a person with a congenital disorder.
“If you can do that, and not apologize, you’re a person to be shunned,” Letterman stated.
• The buzzzzz: The basically unrecognizable Letterman just had his beard trimmed on a recent trip to India.
The Trumpster dumpster . . .
Is daddy Trump planning a 23rd birthday party Thursday for Tiffany Trump, the least-known issue from Trump’s three wives?
• Whatever, Sneed now hears Tiffany, the daughter of Trump’s second wife, Marla Maples, was NOT named after the legendary Tiffany & Co. because her mother loved its bling. Trump chose the name to highlight one of his biggest business deals: purchasing of the air rights over the New York jeweler in order to construct his famous Trump Tower.
Shove it into gear!
Did you know Gloria Steinem, our nation’s legendary independent feminist, has never learned how to drive?
Now you do.
The Obama ledger . . .
Countdown to outta town!
• Packing up? Sneed is told President Barack Obama, who overnighted at his Kenwood digs while in town fundraising this weekend, spent some private time taking inventory at his home for stuff he wants to haul off to his new residence in Washington, D.C., according to an Obama source.
• Kissing up? It’s no secret popular first lady Michelle Obama is eagerto leave the White House and start the next phase of their family life. Sneed hears Obama told attendees at one of the fundraisers he “plans a couple of weeks of rest after [the] Jan. 20 [inaugural] —and then take Michelle somewhere fabulous.”
• Counting down: The president also noted he thinkslaw schools should be two years instead of requiring students to attend a three-year stint, “which would make higher education more affordable.”
Dance ’em . . .
It was all a matter of ostrich feathers, really.
The kind fluttering and flowing from the diaphanous sky blue gown designed by Mira and worn by Illinois Supreme Court Justice Anne M. Burke foxtrotting across the Park West stage last Thursday night with partner Zach Heller in a ballroom dance competition titled: “Dancing With the Giordano Stars.”
Burke, who was 20 years older than the other contestants, did get an award.
But it wasn’t for dancing.
It was an honorary mention for style.
There ya go.
Sneedlings . . .
I spy: San Francisco Giant Eduardo Nunez spotted at Harry Caray’s Water Tower restaurant Friday and Saturday afternoon. . . . Olympians Conor Dwyer, Miles Chamley-Watson and photographer Nigel Barker at Ocean Cut after supermodel Cindy Crawford’sevent last Thursday. . . . Actor Taye Diggs in town filming hit Fox series “Empire” spotted at Gibsons last Monday. . . .Today’s birthdays: Jerry Rice, 54; Paul Pierce, 39, and Tiffany Trump, 23.