3 teenage girls charged with Loop robberies

SHARE 3 teenage girls charged with Loop robberies
26_oct_16_community_alert_robberies_1st_dist_alert_p16_1_243ca_1.jpg

Surveillance photo from a robbery about 10 p.m. Oct. 19 in the 0-100 block of East Van Buren Street. | Chicago Police

Three teenage girls have been charged with robbing several people earlier this month in the Loop.

In each incident, the girls battered female victims who were walking alone, then ran off with their belongings, according to Chicago Police.

The first robbery happened about 9 p.m. Oct. 16 in the 100 block of North Michigan, followed by another in the 200 block of East Randolph at 9:12 p.m., police said. A third robbery occurred about 10 p.m. Oct. 19 in the 0-100 block of East Van Buren.

The girls turned themselves in to police custody after a community alert with surveillance photos was distributed, police said.

A 15-year-old girl and 13-year-old girl are each charged with three felony counts of robbery, according to police. The younger girl was also charged with one misdemeanor count of battery. Another 15-year-old girl was charged with one felony count of robbery.

All three suspects were expected to appear in juvenile court Friday, police said.

The Latest
A man and woman were on the sidewalk in the 4600 block of South Ellis Avenue about 10:40 p.m. when someone opened fire, striking them both.
The 29-year-old was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, police said.
Cubs catcher Yan Gomes, who is opposed to an automated strike zone, says the “best thing in baseball” is the human element.