Cameras OK’d for preliminary hearings in Van Dyke murder case

SHARE Cameras OK’d for preliminary hearings in Van Dyke murder case
SHARE Cameras OK’d for preliminary hearings in Van Dyke murder case

Cameras will be allowed in the courtroom during preliminary proceedings in the high-profile murder case of Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke.

Van Dyke, 37, appeared at a brief hearing Wednesday in which Cook County Judge Vincent Gaughan said he would allow the recordings.

The officer, who is free on bond, is accused of fatally shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times in October 2014.

The dashcam video of the incident fueled protests across the country and criticism of how city leaders handled the investigation and the release of the video.

Still and video cameras have been allowed at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse as part of a pilot program that started last year.

Lawyers can object to the cameras; judges presiding in any specific case ultimately decide whether cameras are allowed in court during a trial.

Van Dyke is due back in court on Jan. 29.

The Latest
The man, 22, jumped a fence to gain entry into the park. As security approached, he pulled out a gun and fired, police said. An off-duty Cook County sheriff’s officer, who was working as a security guard, returned fire.
Payton Gendron, 18, a white suspect in the Buffalo shooting, is called a teenager. Michael Brown Jr., 18, Black victim of a police shooting, is referred to as a man.
After our long period of COVID-19 isolation, we have vicariously enjoyed the idea of a free-running animal weighing 1,300 pounds staking out her own turf.
A 22-year-old man was attempting to enter the park in the first block of East Monroe Street but he refused to be checked for weapons at the entry point, police said.