1985 Bears Coverage: Jerry Vainisi not calling Bell or Harris

SHARE 1985 Bears Coverage: Jerry Vainisi not calling Bell or Harris

Every day of the 2015 Chicago Bears season, Chicago Sun-Times Sports will revisit its coverage 30 years ago during the 1985 Bears’ run to a Super Bowl title.

Jerry Vainisi not calling Bell or Harris

Kevin Lamb

Originally published Nov. 20, 1985

General manager Jerry Vainisi said he did not plan to call either Todd Bell, Al Harris or their representatives this week. If they aren’t signed Saturday, the Bears can’t add them to their roster this season.

If Walter Payton out rushes Atlanta’s Gerald Riggs by 56 yards when their teams play at Soldier Field Sunday, he’ll probably take the NFL lead in rushing. He also would have to outrush Freeman McNeil by 11 yards and stay ahead of Marcus Allen, now 20 yards behind him. Payton has finished only one season (1977) as the NFL’s leading rusher, although he has led the NFC five times.

The Bear defense has moved to within 37 yards of the No. 1 ranking in total yardage. Pittsburgh passed the Giants for first place. . .On offense, the Bears’ third straight 200-yard rushing game gave them the league lead in rushing yards. They maintained their lead in defense against the rush.

The Bears will announce their policy for playoff ticket purchases today.

The Latest
Chicago’s beloved weatherman delivered his usual comprehensive report one last time on Wednesday night’s 9 p.m. newscast.
Thanks to DeMar DeRozan’s 35 points and Andre Drummond’s 26 rebounds, the Bulls avoided the season sweep by Cleveland with a 132-123 victory. It was a far cry from the performance against Detroit 24 hours earlier.
The announcement Wednesday was a victory for former President donald Trump’s efforts to delay the criminal case charging him with plotting to overturn the results of the 2020 election, setting arguments for late April.
All the results from the semifinal and title games in Bloomington-Normal.
The roof and facade of a two-story apartment building in Mundelein were damaged, leaving 21 units uninhabitable and 59 people displaced on a day when the high temperature hit 74 at O’Hare and fell to the upper teens.