Residents accidentally set Naperville home on fire while defrosting pipes

SHARE Residents accidentally set Naperville home on fire while defrosting pipes
naperville_fire_e1525899116305.jpg

Naperville Fire Department Facebook photo

Naperville Fire Department file photo

Some Naperville residents who tried to thaw frozen water pipes with a heat gun ended up sparking a fire inside their home Wednesday evening in the west suburb.

At 10:54 p.m., one of the residents of a home in the 1100 block of Nashua Drive called 911 to report smoke from the first-floor kitchen and second-floor bathroom, according to a statement from the Naperville Fire Department.

Two dozen firefighters arrived at the building, where a fire was spreading through the kitchen ceiling, and evacuated the residents, the fire department said.

The home remained habitable following the fire, which investigators realized started from the residents using a heat gun to defrost a frozen water pipe, the fire department said.

“Homeowners are reminded to use extreme caution when attempting to defrost frozen water pipes in the home,” the fire department said.

No one was injured in the fire, the fire department said.

The Latest
Since the law’s implementation, the jail populations in several counties have decreased because people are no longer being held because they can’t afford to bail themselves out.
The new Beyond Burger patties and Beyond Beef grounds cut saturated fat by 60% by switching from canola and coconut oils to avocado oil.
The suspect, a 14-year-old boy, was identified by a witness as the person who fired shots during a teen gathering in the South Loop over the weekend.
Harper touts her efforts to expand community gardening and urban agriculture in a district desperately lacking groceries and healthy food options. Williams was elected last year to the 7th District Police Council.
The court reversed a Colorado Supreme Court decision to knock Trump from that state’s ballot.