Police are warning residents of recent thefts of cellphones from people dining at restaurants downtown and on the Near North Side.
In each of the nine reported incidents, a young man approaches seated restaurant guests and distracts them with paperwork to solicit donations, Chicago police said in a community alert.
When the victims decline, the man steals their cellphone from the table and leaves, police said.
The thefts happened in the afternoon hours of:
- Feb. 3 in the 600 block of North Wells Street;
- Feb. 2 in the first block of East Delaware Place;
- Feb 2. in the 1400 block of North Wells Street;
- Feb 2. in the 300 block of West Hubbard Street;
- Jan. 21 in the 600 block of North Dearborn Street;
- Jan. 21 in the 200 block of East Ontario Street;
- Jan. 21 in the 1100 block of West North Avenue;
- Jan. 21 in the 1000 block of West North Avenue; and
- Jan. 21 in the 400 block of East Illinois Street.
Anyone with information was asked to call detectives at (312) 747-8380.