Guthrie’s Tavern in Wrigleyville to close, another casualty of COVID-19 restrictions

‘We don’t see a way we can survive,’ says a statement from the bar’s staff.

SHARE Guthrie’s Tavern in Wrigleyville to close, another casualty of COVID-19 restrictions

Guthrie’s Tavern (pictured in 2008) operated as a tavern under a variety of names since Prohibition.

Sun-Times file

Guthrie’s Tavern, a Wrigleyville fixture for 34 years, announced its permanent closing Monday in a statement blaming the city’s latest tightening of pandemic-slowing regulations on bars.

“With the new restrictions set today for bars and the ongoing COVID restrictions, we don’t see a way we can survive,” said the statement attributed to “the Guthrie’s staff” on the establishment’s Facebook page.

It said Thursday will be the last day of business. Guthrie’s is at 1300 W. Addison.

Known for its ivy-covered exterior and generous collection of board games, the site had operated as a tavern under several names since Prohibition, becoming Guthrie’s in 1986.

Closed in mid-March in compliance with Gov. J.B. Pritzker’s shelter-in-place order, Guthrie’s had reopened for business on July 8.

The new rules imposed Monday by Mayor Lori Lightfoot forbids bars without a retail food license to serve customers indoors.

The Latest
If only so many weren’t too lazy and incurious — and triggered by discussions of race — to click on an easy-to-find three-year-old story so that they might gain an actual understanding of the context.
At issue are pending increases in health insurance costs for Affordable Care Act plans. Voters will learn just before the November elections that temporarily boosted subsidies will expire in 2023 — unless Congress acts.
One is product shortages, as with the shortage of personal protective equipment early in the pandemic and recently with infant formula. But are we willing to pay higher prices for less reliance on the global supply chain?
The hurried ordinance allowing outdoor amplified entertainment events without oversight is a bad idea.
The woman, 27, was not on the Red Line platform when she was shot, police said.