Man held on 50K bail in deadly hit-and-run that claimed life of 13-year-old
Oscar Martinez Guerrero continued to drive after striking the boy and did not stop to provide aid or call authorities, prosecutors said.
A 40-year-old man was ordered held in lieu of $50,000 bail Wednesday for his alleged involvement in a deadly hit-and-run that claimed the life of a 13-year-old boy in Ashburn over the weekend.
Isaac Martinez was riding his bicycle with his two teenage cousins Sunday in the 8300 block of South Lawndale Avenue when Oscar Martinez Guerrero struck the boy from behind while driving his white work-issued Ford Econoline van, Cook County prosecutors said.
Martinez Guerrero, a construction manager, allegedly continued to drive away after striking the boy and did not stop to provide aid or call authorities.
“When you have an accident and you know you’ve had an accident, there’s a duty to remain on that scene,” Judge Charles Beach said after listening to the allegations against Martinez Guerrero on Wednesday.
Isaac Martinez died later Sunday night at Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.
Isaac Martinez’s mother, Itzel Dirzo, demanded justice for her son during a vigil Tuesday night.
As she learned about charges filed against Martinez Guerrero, she exclaimed, “Thank you, God. Thank you.”
Police were able to track Martinez Guerrero’s van to the owners of a River West-based interior construction company, prosecutors said. Detectives were told that the van was provided to Martinez Guerrero for his use and that he kept it at his home in West Lawn.
Martinez Guerrero was charged with leaving the scene of an accident and failing to report the crash. He also is facing two misdemeanors and multiple citations tied to the deadly hit-and-run.
Martinez Guerrero is a married father of three — ages 2, 9 and 12 — and is expecting another child, defense attorney Daniel Nuñez said.
Martinez Guerrero, who has lived in the city for 18 years, manages a crew of construction workers, Nuñez added.
Martinez Guerrero was previously convicted of misdemeanor DUI in 2004 and later applied for a driver’s license with false information, so it would not “link up” with his DUI conviction, prosecutors said.
Beach recommended that Martinez Guerrero be placed on electronic monitoring if he is able to post bond.
Martinez Guerrero is expected back in court on July 20.