Brookfield man held without bail after Belmont Cragin shooting

Nicholas Athans allegedly shot a 35-year-old man in the leg and mouth Jan. 16 in the 5300 block of West Oakdale Avenue, police said.

SHARE Brookfield man held without bail after Belmont Cragin shooting
Joseph Roman alledegly carjacked a man Feb. 19, 2021 in Humboldt Park.

Nicholas Athens was arrested for allegedly shooting a man Jan. 16 in Belmont Craign.

Adobe stock photo

A Brookfield man was held without bail in connection with a shooting last month in Belmont Cragin on the Northwest Side.

Nicholas Athans, 32, was charged with attempted murder and aggravated battery in the Jan. 16 shooting, Chicago police said.

That day, Athans allegedly shot a 35-year-old man in the leg and mouth in the 5300 block of West Oakdale Avenue, police said. The man was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center in critical condition.

Athans was arrested Wednesday in Dunning, police said. Court records show he was ordered held without bail, and he is due back in court Feb. 16.

The Latest
Hours after Circuit Court Judge Kathleen Burke declared the binding referendum invalid, the city filed a motion asking Burke to stay both her fundamental ruling and her motion denying the city’s petition to intervene in the case “while the city appeals” those rulings.
The Democratic governor also said a new $1.2 billion South Loop stadium isn’t high on his priority list. “The idea of taking taxpayer dollars and subsidizing the building of a stadium as opposed to, for example, subsidizing the building of a birthing center, just to give the example, does not seem like the stadium ought to have higher priority.”
Nhi Ngoc Mai Le pleaded guilty in November to disorderly conduct in a Capitol building or grounds, and to parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building, both misdemeanors. She was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan.
The bank’s decision to stay put contrasts with other firms that have been moving to new buildings in the West Loop or Fulton Market.
Judge Michael T. Mullen on Monday lifted a freeze on proceedings before the Chicago Police Board after confirming that no evidentiary hearings were scheduled before he plans to make a summary judgment in the case on March 20.