Stalberg happy to stay with the Blackhawks

SHARE Stalberg happy to stay with the Blackhawks

BY BEN MEYER-ABBOTT

In addition to the new faces on hand at the Blackhawks Convention was a player Hawks fans became familiar with last season, but with a big smile fresh off the signing of his new contract to remain with the team.

Viktor Stalberg and the Hawks came to terms Sunday on a two-year deal worth a total of $1.75 million to avoid an arbitration hearing scheduled for July 20.

The 25-year-old winger said the plan was always to stay with the Hawks and that he was happy the two sides were able to get the deal done before arbitration.

“I don’t think anyone of us wanted to do that [arbitration] and I certainly didn’t,” Stalberg said. “It was just a matter of they were dealing with other free agents for a couple days and we didn’t have time to finalize the deal before I needed to file for arbitration. It was my right to file for arbitration and I wanted to protect myself.”

Stalberg had 24 points (12 goals, 12 assists) in 77 games during his first season with the Hawks and first full season in the NHL while bouncing between all four lines and averaging less time on the ice than any other regular forward other than Ryan Johnson.

Stalberg struggled at times, most notably scoring only two goals during a 36-game stretch. But he ranked fourth on the team with 102 hits and did show flashes of the potential his speed and size suggest, including a playoff goal in Game 2 of the Hawks first-round series against the Vancouver Canucks.

“Me and [general manager] Stan [Bowman] had a good talk after the season ended and it seemed like I can help this team out,” Stalberg said. “I certainly feel like I have a lot more to prove and to help out with this year and I’m excited for the new season.”

The Latest
Last year on Independence Day, Chicago reached a level of air pollution four times the hourly average of a normal summer day. “By 10:30 at night, it’s just a hazy fog and smoke everywhere that you can see,” one resident said.
Woman wonders why he would say that on Facebook and whether the relationship has a future.
The man, believed to be between 40 and 50 years old, was found unresponsive in the middle of police by responding officers.
The man, 39, was shot about 1:50 a.m. in the 400 block of East Erie Street, police said.
Voting, supporting election workers and fighting back against the Big Lie are part of saving our “grand experiment.”